Joyce Bathke and I observed the male PAINTED BUNTING at Runge Nature
Center, Jefferson City, at 2 p.m.  It was at the junction of Raccoon
Run and Bluestem trails.

To reach this area, park along the westernmost row of the parking lot
(the row furthest from the entrance).  Raccoon Run Trail takes off
from there (prominent sign).  You will pass the fire tower, then a
pond (both on the right).  The trail junction is beyond the pond.
Listen for his singing from the tower onward.

The trails are marked closed for repairs.  Staff and volunteers at
the nature center assured us that there is no problem with birders
walking beyond the "closed" signs.  They note that there will be no
work on the trails this weekend, and that when work resumes, just
stay clear of the workers and think about safety.  They also
commented that when work resumes there will be fresh asphalt, so
think about where you walk.

This bird was first seen by Trana Madsen yesterday afternoon about
1:30 as it flew across the trail.

We also looked for WESTERN KINGBIRD and found one sitting on a
utility line near a metal pole on the MFA parking lot (off Rt. W from
US 63 near the 63/54 interchange).  The bird caught an insect and
flew to the pole, fed it to one young on the nest at the height of
the light.  We could see one head begging and did not wish to disturb
it, so do not know if there are others in the nest.

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO