Report for Saturday, June 10, 2006

Thanks to John Solodar of the St. Louis Audubon Society, and to Mike
Arduser from the Missouri Dept of Conservation who led today's trip to
Darst Bottom CA in St. Charles County.  It was a world premier trip for
the SLAS to this particular location, and special because of how access
to the site was gained and the place itself.  It's a natural
reproduction of a riparian woodland, having been formed by the Missouri
River in the great flood of 1993.  The river reclaimed farm land by
depositing ~ 15 ft of sand during the flood and over the last 13 years a
forest has arisen with Cottonwood and Willow shooting up out of the sand
giving the area a savannah-like appearance.

Darst Bottom was oriole central, plus we had 5 or 6 warblers, grosbeaks,
dickcissels, chipping sparrows, indigo buntings, six-lined racerunners
and a lot more.

At our rendezvous point, Lost Valley parking lot, we had wood thrush,
yellow-throated vireo, red-eyed vireo, white-eyed vireo, yellow-throated
warbler and more.

On the drive home I found a roadkilled NINE-BANDED ARMADILLO in
Chesterfield, Missouri, on the shoulder of eastbound I-64 / U.S. 40 /
U.S. 61 (St. Louis County), just west of exit 19A.

I posted a few general-interest photos here, including the armadillo:

http://mike-thelen.smugmug.com/gallery/1547383

Mike Thelen
St. Louis County, MO