Tuesday, May 30, Steve Kinder and I birded the Squaw Creek NWR (Mound City) and then a little while at Bob Brown Conservation Area (Forest City).

  Not too many ducks around, just Mallard, Blue-winged Teal, "Hoodies and Woodies". The Ring-necked Pheasants and Northern Bobwhites were out in force, struting and calling. We did have a pretty good mix of waders, Least Bittern, Great Blue Heron, Great Egret, Snowy Egret, Little Blue Heron, Cattle Egret and Green Heron. Also some American White Pelicans. Would you believe ONE American Coot seen!

  Not too many shorebirds around, just some Spotted, Semipalmated and White-rumped Sandpipers (and, of course some Killdeer). We did have a Franklin's Gull, a couple Ring-billed Gulls and a Forster's Tern. In the general area we observed Eastern Wood-Peewee, Willow Flycatcher, Eastern Phoebe, Great Crested Flycatcher, Western and Eastern Kingbirds.

  The only warblers we saw were Yellow, American Redstarts and a somewhat unexpected Prothonotary. There were quite a few Cedar Waxwings around.

  The oriole clan continues to be seen/heard in quite large numbers. Conservatively estimating the Orchard Orioles to be over 100 observed, with a somewhat lesser number of Baltimores.

  We had Rose-breasted Grosbeck on the boardwalk at Bob Brown CA and a male Blue Grosbeak, sitting on the utility wires near Forbes on our way back to St.Joseph.

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, MO
Buchanan County