Oops! That should have read ...."if you happen to be in a group of BIRDERS", not "in a group of birds". Although, hopefully there will be a "group of birds" around for you to look at!

Larry Lade <[log in to unmask]> wrote:  Matt, the higher end spotting scopes usually are in two parts the objective lens in the main body of the scope and then the ocular or eye piece which attaches to the opposite end of the scope.

There are fixed power eye pieces, such as 20 X, 32 X, wide angle eyepieces and also zoom eye pieces which can be rotated to different power levels. On my KOWA scope I have a 20 - 60 power eye piece. I generally use the 20 X and if I need greater magnification I rotate the eye piece to increase the power. As I rotate the eye piece, I begin to lose some of the resolution and sharpness of the image and also the "field of vision" becomes smaller and smaller as you rotate to greater and greater magnification. I would suggest that you "try before you buy" and find the eye piece (and scope) which you are comfortable with. Other birders will generally allow you to look through their scopes if you happen to be in a group of birds, some of whom have their scopes with them. Hope this helps in your decision making.

"Andrews, Matthew E" wrote:
I am getting ready to buy a new, nicer scope, probably a Carl Zeiss, could someone please explain to me the whole eyepiece thing? The scope I have now is a cheapie and I never had to deal with eyepieces before. What exactly is it? an accessory or part of the scope that is necessary to buy? And since I will be using it strictly for birding is there anything else I need to know about eyepieces? Thanks so much!

Matt Andrews

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, MO
Buchanan County