Thur Jun 1 2006

I was starting to prepare dinner this evening and it dawned on me that
BLUE JAYs were kicking up a storm outside.  Curious to know if they were
mobbing something, I followed the sound to the front curb, and indeed
they were.  I found a very wet and disheveled COOPER'S HAWK!

The jays were driving the hawk from tree to tree and rooftop to rooftop
in a tight area around our house.

I got a few photos, posted here:
http://mike-thelen.smugmug.com/gallery/1517415/1/72871039.

Wheeler says of the juvenile, "white tail tip often wears off," but I'm
not sure whether this bird ever had a white tail tip.

At first I assumed this bird was the same one that visited our feeder
May 30, but I'm not sure of that either.
Photos here:  http://mike-thelen.smugmug.com/gallery/1510699.

It seems that the non-black tail bands on the May 30 hawk had a grayish
cast to them, while the non-black tail bands on today's hawk were more
brownish than gray.  On each hawk the black bands seemed to be about of
equal width.

I wonder if today's bird is a second individual, possibly a fledgling.

Mike Thelen
St. Louis County, MO