I observed a duck that I called a Fulvous Whistling-Duck in Newton County,
sw Missouri,
this morning at about 0750 am.  The duck was observed for only about 30
seconds
(23 seconds standing and 7 seconds flying).

I was working on the CACHE project at Crowder WA., breakfast birding.

The duck was a medium-sized, small headed, with large, light-colored legs.
It was overall plain, flesh-colored, and was alert at my presence.  I was on
a north-south road and facing the sun
when it was observed.  It flew away from me to the east.  The flight was
strong and deep but not quite as quick-winged, with shallow wing beats  as
say a Woody or a Teal.

Unfortunately I was looking directly in the sun from a north-south road and
was unable to
improve my view since the duck in the tree  was on private property.

I am very sure of my observation. I have observed them twice in south Texas
and once in
Oklahoma and one in Kansas!

The location is exactly 2.0 miles south of the junctions of HH & Owl Road on
Owl Rd.
There are two very small ponds there and the duck was in a dead oak tree
about 300 yards
due east on the south side of those two ponds.  It was on private property
and the road is
soft-shouldered and well traveled.

I phoned Linda Childers, who watches birds regularly in that area, and she
will be looking for it.

Good birding,  Larry H.  Joplin (Jasper County) MO.