TRANSIT
http://german.berkeley.edu/transit
ISSN 1551-9627

The editors of TRANSIT -- a new internet-based, multidisciplinary journal
published by the German Department at the University of California, Berkeley
-- invite submissions for its 2006 issue on the topic "Translation and
Mobility." Papers for the second round, to appear in Summer 2006, need to be
submitted by June 10, 2006.

The first round of the 2006 issue can be viewed here:
http://german.berkeley.edu/transit/2006

TRANSIT is the first refereed internet journal in German Studies responding
to the visual turn in literary studies. TRANSIT seeks to push boundaries
both of traditional scholarship and of print publication. The journalšs
online format enables authors to integrate multimedia content (images, film
clips, spoken text, and music) into their work. We welcome critical and
creative work, in English or German, from all areas in which mobility and
transition are major forces, from translation to travelogues and other forms
of cultural transfer.

Special Topic 2006: Translation and Mobility
Submissions for the Special Topic should focus on translation, its
relationship to mobility and cultural transfer.

Possible topics for the "Translation and Mobility" issue include:

--The translation of mobility. Translation and narratives of mobility.
--Translation and identity: translation as a vehicle of subjectivity,
intersubjectivity, and/or transnational subjectivities.
--Translation and media theory: how is translation deployed in different
media, e.g. subtitles in film, internet translation machines, etc.
--Translation studies and linguistics, e.g. translation as a catalyst of
linguistic change: does translation function as a "transformative" force or
rather as a "conservative" force? How does translation destabilize or
stabilize linguistic systems and hence, cultural practices?
--Translation and the mobility of images. Traveling images.

Please submit your article to the editors at [log in to unmask] .

The deadline to be included in the second round is June 10, 2006.

Open Forum:
In addition to the Special Topic, each issue of TRANSIT offers an Open Forum
for scholarly and creative work on issues of transition and travel in
classical German works, from Parzival and Wilhelm Meisters Wanderjahre to
the road movies of Wim Wenders. We are also interested in multidisciplinary
analysis of non-canonical texts, debates, new media, and material culture.
We appreciate comparative studies that frame German examples within larger
theoretical and historical concerns, and we especially encourage essays that
make creative use of available multimedia technologies.

We consider submissions for the Open Forum at any time.

If you have questions, please contact us at [log in to unmask] .