TRANSIT
http://german.berkeley.edu/transit
ISSN 1551-9627

The editors of TRANSIT -- a new internet-based, multidisciplinary journal published by the German Department at the University of California, Berkeley -- invite submissions for its 2006 issue on the topic "Translation and Mobility." Papers for the second round, to appear in Summer 2006, need to be submitted by June 10, 2006.

The first round of the 2006 issue can be viewed here:
http://german.berkeley.edu/transit/2006

TRANSIT is the first refereed internet journal in German Studies responding to the visual turn in literary studies. TRANSIT seeks to push boundaries both of traditional scholarship and of print publication. The journal’s online format enables authors to integrate multimedia content (images, film clips, spoken text, and music) into their work. We welcome critical and creative work, in English or German, from all areas in which mobility and transition are major forces, from translation to travelogues and other forms of cultural transfer.

Special Topic 2006: Translation and Mobility
Submissions for the Special Topic should focus on translation, its relationship to mobility and cultural transfer.

Possible topics for the "Translation and Mobility" issue include:

--The translation of mobility. Translation and narratives of mobility.
--Translation and identity: translation as a vehicle of subjectivity, intersubjectivity, and/or transnational subjectivities.
--Translation and media theory: how is translation deployed in different media, e.g. subtitles in film, internet translation machines, etc.
--Translation studies and linguistics, e.g. translation as a catalyst of linguistic change: does translation function as a "transformative" force or rather as a "conservative" force? How does translation destabilize or stabilize linguistic systems and hence, cultural practices?
--Translation and the mobility of images. Traveling images.

Please submit your article to the editors at [log in to unmask] .

The deadline to be included in the second round is June 10, 2006.

Open Forum:
In addition to the Special Topic, each issue of TRANSIT offers an Open Forum for scholarly and creative work on issues of transition and travel in classical German works, from Parzival and Wilhelm Meisters Wanderjahre to the road movies of Wim Wenders. We are also interested in multidisciplinary analysis of non-canonical texts, debates, new media, and material culture. We appreciate comparative studies that frame German examples within larger theoretical and historical concerns, and we especially encourage essays that make creative use of available multimedia technologies.

We consider submissions for the Open Forum at any time.

If you have questions, please contact us at [log in to unmask] .