There are no current reports of Painted Buntings or Roadrunners coming from
the Henning CA.  Road Runners are never reliable, they are totally amoral.
The Painted Bunting being viewed and heard at the Willard quarry area is so
much closer to Springfield, I believe it gets all the attention.  We receive
regular reports from that location.  However, because the quarry is fenced,
it can be challenging to get to see this bird.  It is as amoral as the
roadrunner.  Usually though you will hear it, and if you have time and
patience, you will usually get to see this bird.  It's friend the Blue
Grosbeak is frequently seen and heard along the same fence line.  They are
much more spiritual.

The Swainson's Hawk nest on the west side of Springfield was not used this
year.  Development has taken nearly all the food plot fields away.  They
don't due well scanning roof tops for food.  The good news so far is the
French's Mustard plant nest is occupied.  However, one of the vacant fields
between I44 and the tree line is being developed as I type.  If the field to
the south becomes developed, and it will at sometime, I expect that to be
the end of the Swainson's nests we have been so fortunately observing for
many years.  We do regularly see Swainson's Hawks around the Springfield
area, and I am sure when we get more aggressive about locating other nesting
areas, we will find them.

A few weeks ago vandals burned down the barn at the Bois D'Arc CA where many
of you have visited to see nesting Barn Owls.  Some of you actually scored.
Now with great fortune, one of the ladies in our local chapter, who lives
right near the now missing barn, has Barn Owls nesting in her barn.  We have
confirmed four chicks in the barn.  With arrangements, she is very open to
fellow birders visiting her barn.

Charley
Charley Burwick
Greater Ozarks Audubon