We began at Tower Grove Park.  Three firemen had spotted and correctly identified a female Rose Breasted Grosbeak high in a tree on the west end of the Gaddy Garden.  In the same area we saw a silent empid flycatcher and a Cape May warbler.

  The West County group arrived and Shawn came over with the report of several warbler species and a Blue-headed Vireo he had just seen in the grove area.  It was a great morning for someone like me trying to play catch-up.  Thanks for all the help.  We saw a Blackburnian male with the sun on his throat, several Chestnut-sided, a Blackpoll, Black and White, Magnolias, Redstarts, Black-throated Greens, Tennessee, Nashville, E. Wood Peewee, Great Crested Flycatcher, Cooper's Hawk, Red-tailed Hawk, Turkey Vulture flyover, Flickers, Red-bellied, Downy woodpecker, a heard Red-headed WP, several Barn Swallows flying above the meadow.  Least Flycatcher was heard by some.

  We adjourned to Busch CA, St Charles County for lunch at archery (on the way the group in two cars heard one or two Chats) with both Tanagers, White-eyed and Yellow-throated Vireos and a Chipping Sparrow calling, nesting Phoebes, Goldfinch, a Swainson's Thrush seen...then we checked the Weldon Springs Boat Access Katy Trail to follow up on Dave Rogles' report of the return of a Painted Bunting. .  However, the weather was sporadically deteriorating.  One minute the sun would be shining, the next a squall would come through with high winds and rain.  No birds were heard singing at the trail, even Indigo Buntings, but Rough-winged Swallows were flying up and down the creek, Turkey Vultures overhead, and a probable Broad-winged Hawk on 94 near the spot where the hawk was seen on Saturday.  We pulled over in front of the high school to listen for the prairie warbler and blue grosbeak present on Saturday, but a 30-35 mph wind made hearing impossible.  A short walk up the Blue
 Grosbeak trail did not produce Bobolinks, Bell's Vireo or Yellow Warbler but instead six Forsters Terns flying back and forth across the little lake on the right of the trail.  The weather closed in again and we called it a day.  A surprise ending.

  Jackie Chain
  St Louis County