American Robin is one of the more frequent vagrant North American passerines
that show up in G.B. But the list is long. It includes a number of wood
warblers and sparrows as well as thrushes, tanagers, orioles, bobolinks,
etc. The number of non-passerine shore birds, ducks, gulls, terns, etc. that
make it over there is even larger.

There are at least four reasons why the number of Nearctic species that
shows up in Europe greatly exceeds the number of Palearctic species  turning
up on our side of the pond. (1) The prevailing winds are from west to east;
(2) Atlantic storms roughly follow the Gulf Stream up the east coast of N.A.
and west; (3) there are many more "twitchers" there than here, and (4)
British twitchers carry pagers and keep each other informed minute by
minute.

When I birded in Norfolk with one of its very "keen" birders, he told me
that, if a vagrant showed up in Norfolk (which must be as large as or larger
than a Missouri county) and disappeared, there was a 50% chance it would be
relocated.

He also made remarks like the following:

Of the Eurasian Bittern: "There are only 16 in Great Britain right now."

Of Cattle Egret: "There is only one here right now."

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri