Birding around the oxbow lakes region south of Saint Joseph this morning I had White-rumped Sandpiper (FOY) at Lake Contrary. There were some Franklin's Gulls and Forster's Tern there also. Heading over to Muskrat Lake I ran into Chris Fisher we watched 70 Long-billed Dowitchers foraging as well as some Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, Pectoral and Least Sandpipers. Farther west on Crockett Road, at the place with all the horses, goats, sheep, donkey, etc. were a flock of Yellow-headed Blackbirds and a Loggerhead Shrike. I had a couple of Merlins before I met up with Chris. I took him back to have him get a look at the one nearest Muskrat Lake, but it was gone when we returned to the spot where I had seen it.

  We then went to Bluff Woods Conservation Area. Things were pretty quiet there, but we had stunning views of a male Scarlet Tanager (FOY) in bright sunlight. Awesome! Also had several male Summer Tanagers (FOY) and several male Rose-breasted Grosbeaks (FOY). Chris heard several Kentucky Warblers (FOY) and we had a fleeting view of a couple of them.

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, MO
Buchanan County