I have flown several times with tripod and scope.

I pack the tripod in the checked luggage.  The center post and head
are removable on my Bogen tripod.  This reduces the overall length by
about 4 inches, thus making it short enough for smaller dimensioned bag.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER check your scope (nor binoculars).

I carry mine in my carry-on.  I use a daypack, but any carry-on bag
is fine.  I remove the eyepiece and place it in the plastic tube-like
container it was originally shipped in.  This reduces the length of
the scope two to three inches, but probably isn't necessary--just
makes it easier for me to pack.

I can never predict what will happen at the security check.
Sometimes I get a thorough search (belly button examination included)
and my scope, FRS radios, binoculars, tape recorder, etc. get whizzed
right on through without them batting an eye.  Sometimes they run the
explosives testing wand over every item.

There is no rhyme nor reason to any scenario I've experienced, except
that places that are well known birding destinations usually have
employees who smile and ask what bird we are looking for.  In other
places, you have to watch them and discourage them from trying to
disassemble your scope--they've never seen one and don't even know
what it is.

Stand by and offer verbal help if they seem confused.  Don't try to
reach out to touch an item.  This frightens the buggers and they get
real touchy.

I'm not trying to be alarmist or to discourage traveling with scope
and tripod (or any other birding equipment).  Just be aware that many
security people have no idea what the equipment is for and birders
often do not look quite "normal" within the general flying population.

Enjoy your flight and have a great time in Nova Scotia.  I was there
once in November.  Beautiful!  The people are gracious (we could
learn a bit from them in the civility category).  Got my 700th ABA
bird from the 7th floor of a hotel in Halifax.

Bodacious birding!

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO