Missouri Birders - over the weekend Columbia Audubon Society had the unique
opportunity to visit a privately-owned wetland in north central Missouri.
It is part of the Wetlands Reserve Program.  Although we had to fight rain
and wind, we had a DELIGHTFUL bird experience.  One of the owners put
together a packet of materials for us, kept the fire ring stoked up, and
gave us free rein over the place.  Many, many laughs as we held the umbrella
over the cook fire and conversed with the "colorful" (to say the least),
owner of the local hotel!

Personally, I spend most of my time birding public lands - and spend a lot
of time disheartened over what private "developers" here in Columbia do to
the land for profit.  So, it was a unique learning experience for me to see
what private landowners who have a conservation ethic can do to save
habitat.  This property has an exceptional mix of habitat including the
wetlands, grasslands, and a large riparian/woodlands interface. The owners
are justifiably proud of it.  I believe we counted over 75 species in
between rainstorms.  I am sure the count would have been higher on a
different kind of day, and in about a week or two.

I won't recount the entire list here but to give you an idea of the
diversity -  upon arrival on Saturday late afternoon there were 14 Caspian
Terns lounging on a small mudflat.  Among the shorebirds were a flock of 10+
Sempalmated Plovers, Wilson's Phalaropes, Lesser and Greater yellowlegs,
Pectoral and Least Sandpipers, Snipe.  Three WF Ibis stayed with us all
weekend.  Both Virginia Rail and Sora were flushed; Green Heron, Great Egret
and GB Heron were present.  In the woods we had a Northern Waterthrush,
Parulas, Orange-crowned Warbler, lots of Warbling Vireos, Baltimore Oriole
and two other calls I couldn't track down; in the grasslands area we had
Grasshopper, Field and Lark Sparrows, Palm Warbler, Towhees, Orchard Oriole,
probable fly over of singing bobolink, Bobwhite and in the gravel road a
breeding plumage Harris Sparrow!  (That one really threw me for a loop as I
have only seen winter plumage ones before - was starting to reach for the
documentation paper!)

It was a remarkable weekend, at a jewel of a place - I feel honored to have
been a part of it and extend my public thanks to the owners for both their
hospitality and their conservation philosophy.
Jean Leonatti
Boone County
Columbia, MO