Very nice observation, Peter! Thanks!
I'd just like to add that a narcissistic world isn't
something where one feels good - it's a state of a
tragedy, self-reflected tragedy, in which it is
impossible to find a way out. There is no real
satisfaction in it, only acceptance of
dissatisfaction. Yet, the fact that there IS a(n
overwhelming) question, although it is never asked,
implicitly introduces the answer too, even as a sign,
or as "the other" of the question (= a way out).
I like the metaphor with a mirror - it fits my feeling
that we are "read by the poem" just as it is read by
us.

Dunja