We started at TGP where the total number of birds was very low.  We go some good species including, Scarlet Tanager, Blue-headed Vireo, Nashville Warbler, Blue-winged Warbler, Palm Warbler, and Yellow-rumped Warbler, but mostly one one of each.  From there we went to Horseshoe Lake in Illinois where we visited the boat ramp on Highway 111.  There was a very close Solitary Sandpiper there.  Otherwise we saw only common birds, PBG, Coot, Blue-winged Teal and other ducks etc.  Along the north shore of the lake there were few birds.  There was one very distant tern, probably a Forster's, but it was too far away to be sure.  While there we got a call about the Swainson's Hawk and ran up to Columbia Bottoms, but had no luck.  We did get a nice looks at Grasshopper Sparrow, Warbling Vireo, and  Baltimore Oriole and a quick glance at an Orchard as flew off.  From there we went to REDA where the number of shorebirds was down sharply from earlier in the week.  There were no Piping Plovers.  We did see both one Semipalmated Sandpiper and fair numbers of both Yellowlegs  and Pectoral Sandpiper.  There was one Dowitcher species and some people reported seeing a Dunlin.  Overall a reasonable day in terms of species, but the total number of birds seen was low.  All this fine weather is not helping the migration.

David Becher
Saint Louis