Doris Fitchett, Nancy Shy and I took a spur-of-the-moment trip to Squaw Creek NWR today.  Had 13 species of waterfowl including at least 3 pair of Canada geese with tiny goslings.  Male ring-necked pheasants were plentiful with 14 in one field that had recently been burned.  What a sight in the bright sunlight!

One of our "best birds" for the day was the horned grebe in full breeding plumage we found at the south end of the first pool (sorry, is that Snow Goose Pool?).

We missed the yellow-crowned night heron but had both little and great blue herons plus snowy and great egrets with Doris catching a glimpse of the green heron.  We had a sora and the coots were thick.   The white-faced ibis were a great show with over 80 in the group we saw.

Shore birds included several semi-palmated plovers, both yellowlegs, spotted, semipalmated, least, Baird's & pectoral sandpipers as well as Wilson's snipe, dunlin, Hudsonian godwit, Wilson's phalarope and many long-billed dowitchers.

We only had the ring-billed gull and Forster's tern but the terns were so great to watch that we didn't mind.  Just had warbling vireo and 3 kinds of warblers(yellow,-rumped and common yellowthroat) missed the waterthrush that Larry saw.  In the sparrows had chipping, savannah, white-crowned and eastern towhee.  We did have both house and sedge wren  The yellow-headed blackbirds were a treat for us.

Just another great day birding North Missouri......I'm sure glad turkey season marches right along with migrating little birds coming to our area!

Myrna Carlton
Chillicothe, Livingston Co.