I just learned today that the Trumpeter Swan pair have returned to the pond where they nested last year. Also heard disturbing news that two of last years young may have been shot and killed. The third one seems to have disappeared earlier.

   On a brighter note I checked on nesting Long-eared Owls this evening and found with the female finally out of the nest I could see FOUR young ones. One Adult flew from where it was perched nearby. AND most unexpectedly I discovered another nest with and adult and much smaller young in it!!! It is in same pine grove but at the other end. Had been trying not to disturb the birds from first nest so had not even been looking for any others!

   Saw a Male Northern Harrier in this area earlier and then at Dusk saw one again a mile farther North and one Short-eared Owl. Have to keep checking and try to see if these may nest also.

  Later, Steve