I headed out for the oxbows south of St.Joseph about 7 this morning and almost came right back home! The fog really had everything "socked in". I could barely make out the Great Blue Heron at Lake Contrary, and it was only about 30 feet from me! But I perservered and left the lake proper and ambled over to the Muskrat Lake area. The place on Crockett Road that has about 40 horses, donkeys, goats, etc in a small pasture also had some YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRDS hanging around. They have been there for about a week. On Muskrat Lake I did see one WILLET which is probably the one I have been seeing for several days. The fog and short time available to me morning somewhat curtailed my species list. Perhaps the best birding was of the various sparrows. There were 10+ GRASSHOPPER SPARROWS in the area around Muskrat lake, as well as numerous LARK, SAVANNAH SPARROWS. Other sparrows seen in the general area were CHIPPING, LINCOLN'S, WHITE-THROATED, WHITET-CROWNED and HARRIS'S.

  Also, hanging around Muskrat Lake were the seven SNOW GEESE and one ROSS'S.

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, MO
Buchanan County