I spent a few hours at Union Ridge CA this afternoon hoping to catch some
more spring migrants. Highlights were 1 WILLET and 1 SORA.

The Willet and Sora were found in the marsh area (both were near the western
edge). Also present were Snipe, Killdeer, 1 Pectoral Sandpiper and a few
Lesser Yellowlegs. Finally got some shorebirds at UR! I was wondering if I
would at all. Lots of Blue-winged Teal still around, along with some Wood
ducks, Canada Geese and Mallards. Also I saw 2 Green Herons and a Belted
Kingfisher that nabbed a fish that was too big and after struggling with it
for a while "threw it back".

Songbird activity wasn't too high (not surprising given the time of day) but
I did manage to see a Palm Warbler along with Gnatcatchers, RC Kinglets,
Northern Parulas, Common Yellowthroats, and a gorgeous male Baltimore
Oriole. Saw most of the common residents with the very notable absence of a
Blue Jay. I don't think I've ever been outside for more than 15 minutes in
Adair County and not seen a Blue Jay. On the way back I saw an Eastern
Kingbird perched along the road. Full trip will be on CACHE later tonight.

Phil Wire
Kirksville, Adair Co.