David Plank, Linda Frederick, Adam Nisbett, Rod Lentz, Jerry Decker, Rob Chapman who manages WRT and yours truly met at 6:30 am this morning and birded most of the 2.000 plus acres of the trace for our first IBA Spring Migratory Count. We count early due to Wild Turkey season opening Monday and running through the next two weekends.

Canada Goose
Blue winged Teal
Wood Duck
Great Blue Heron
Green Heron
Sora
Woodcock
Turkey Vulture
Northern Harrier
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Red-shouldered Hawk
Broad-winged Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Rough Legged Hawk
Barred Owl
Wild Turkey. Everywhere, and I mean everywhere and calling
Northern Bobwhite
Killdeer
Mourning Dove
Whip-poor-will. Adam pulled in at 11pm last evening and they were calling.
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Pileated Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Acadian Flycatcher
Eastern Phoebe
Eastern Kingbird.
Tree Swallow
Rough-winged Swallow
Barn Swallow
Cedar Waxwing
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White Breasted Nuthatch
Carolina Wren
Bewicks Wren
House Wren
Ruby Crowned Kinglet
Blue-Grey Gnatcatcher
Eastern Bluebird
Hermit Thrush
American Robin
Grey Catbird
Mockingbird
Brown Thrasher
Loggerhead Shrike (Been in area for five months hoping for nesting pair this year)
White-eyed Vireo Many across the trace
Bells Vireo. Just starting to arrive.
Yellow-throated Vireo
Warbling Vireo (met us at 6:30 singing away, what a way to start the day)
Red-eyed Vireo
Blue-winged Warbler. They were everywhere across the trace.
Northern Parula Warbler. Ditto
Tennessee Warbler
Nashville Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Yellow-throated Warbler
Prairie Warbler. Linda counted close to 60 on the NW Corner of the trace.
Ovenbird
Louisiana Waterthrush
Kentucky Warbler
Palm Warbler
Common Yellowthroat. Like the Chat you cannot miss them.
Yellow-breasted Chat. This is Chat country, they are everywhere.
Summer Tanager (Beautiful in the tops of trees with the morning sun)
Scarlet Tanager
Northern Cardinal
Blue Grosbeak
Indigo Bunting
Eastern Towhee. Calling everywhere.
Chipping Sparrow. Ditto
Field Sparrow, Hundreds
Lark Sparrow
Savannah Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
Lincoln's Sparrow
Henslow Sparrow
Grasshopper Sparrow
Harris Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Red-winged Blackbird
Eastern Meadowlark
Brown Headed Cowbird
American Goldfinch.
(Dickcissel and Orioles should arrive any day)

Good birding
Mike Doyen
Rolla, MO

                                        Pablo Neruda.