Birding Squaw Creek NWR, Mound City, this morning I observed thirteen (13) species of waterfowl. Several Ring-necked Pheasants were seen and many were vocalizing. Waders of note: Great Blue Heron (20), Great Egret (30), Snowy Egret (2), Little Blue Heron (2), Green Heron (1) and White-faced Ibis (75).

  I saw one Black-necked Stilt toward the north end of Mallard Marsh in a mix of Lesser Yellowlegs, Pectoral Sandpipers, Long-billed Dowitchers and Hudsonian Godwits. 25 Franklin's Gulls and several Ring-billed Gulls were around.

  On the north end of the auto loop, through the trees, I found one Hermit Thrush. Warblers were not much in evidence with only Yellow-rumped, Orange-crowned, Tennessee Warblers, Common Yellowthroat and Louisiana Waterthrush being observed.

  Of course, the Yellow-headed Blackbirds were making quite a racket with their distinctive calls. They seemed to be mostly on the east side of the refuge.

  I did not see the Cinnamon Teal or the Yellow-crowned Night-Herons.

  There were two young eaglets in the nest which appeared to me to be about ready to fledge. Two adult Bald Eagles were also seen in the immediate area.

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, MO
Buchanan County