Josh Uffman and I did a tour of Squaw Creek NWR (Holt Co.) today.
Highlights:

One GLOSSY IBIS was among the 80 +/- WHITE-FACED IBIS in Snow Goose
Pool. A PEREGRINE FALCON inspired the entire flock of ibis to take
flight (pretty impressive sight), but they settled back into the same
spot.

Two female BLACK-NECKED STILTS were together in Mallard Marsh.
Shorebird numbers seemed to be growing while we were there, with the
most common by far being LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS (100+). One HUDSONIAN
GODWIT was near the Black-necked Stilts. We couldn't find any rare
plovers, unfortunately.

We had 17 species of waterfowl, including one male CANVASBACK and two
COMMON GOLDENEYE. We did not see any Cinnamon Teal.

A SWAINSON'S HAWK was flying over the Moist Soil Unit. Below the
hawk, a WILLET was among the usual mix of shorebirds.

We saw Myrna Carlton's HORNED GREBE in breeding plumage in Pelican
Pool. Very nice-looking bird.

After I dropped Josh off in St. Joseph, I compulsively turned around
and went back for more, hoping additional shorebirds would come in
with the inclement weather. Things didn't change much, but I did find:

One LEAST BITTERN vocalizing in a clump of cattails past Cattail
Pool. Thought I heard one earlier in the day at the south end of
Eagle Pool.

A ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK was singing at headquarters around 7:00 p.m.

Kristi Mayo
Kearney MO (Clay Co.)