Today there was a CLAY-COLORED SPARROW (rare transient in the east) at
the Truman State University farm. I got a call this afternoon from a
Bio professor who was checking on bluebird nest boxes in the area
saying it was hanging out in a pasture with some Chipping Sparrows. I
went and found plenty of Chipping Sparrows after a few minutes, but
could not ID the Clay-colored until I had searched through them for
about an hour- it was literally the last sparrow I saw as I was on my
way back to the car, and also a life-bird.

The specific directions are kind of long and complicated, so if anyone
wants them just email me off-list. With the weather we are supposed to
have it may stick around. Also seen were Lark Sparrows, Field Sparrows,
a White-crowned Sparrow, a Grasshopper Sparrow, a Savannah Sparrow, and
I heard White-throated and Song Sparrows.

Phil Wire
Kirksville, Adair Co.

Phil Wire
Truman State University