Jack and mobirds-l,

There are cheaper options, but each has its own set of caveats.

Once can create a cassette tape of individual songs or groups of songs and
use that in the field. This is the cheapest option I know of. Downside:
tapes don't last long (not very durable), you have to fast forward or rewind
to find the song you want, takes time to MAKE the tape and unless you record
all songs, you run the risk of "needing" a song you don't have available
when in the field.

There are some devices on the market that are much less expensive than an
I-Pod or a Palm that come preloaded with some bird sounds. I have no
experience with these. I believe Edge Wade used one for a brief period of
time in California. To my knowledge, the device didn't make it back to
Missouri!?

This leaves you with the two more expensive options that have been discussed
here in the past. I'm curious as to your comment about "works better than
the I-Pod". What issues have you experienced with an I-Pod that make you
feel there is something better? The individuals that have an I-Pod / BirdPod
device have told me that it takes some getting use to with regard to
manipulating the device to find the bird song. The device is small and the
screen // buttons are small too. An additional issue some have expressed to
me is the need to recharge the Pod after about FOUR hours of use?! Did you
experience this too? Lastly, the speaker that is recommended by BirdBod to
accompany the device is excellent at rendering all the songs clearly. One
trade off is that the speaker isn't as loud as the self-amplified speaker I
use with my Palm, which I believe does ALMOST as good a job rendering the
songs.

To be clear on this: Great-horned Owl and Black-and-white Warbler and two of
the most difficult calls for small speakers to handle. The recommended
speaker (by BirdPod folks) does a slightly better job of playing these songs
than does my self-amplified speaker from RadioShack. On ALL other songs, it
does an equal job and at a higher volume...

**There are probably other ways of doing sounds in the field using other
types of equipment / devices. I hope to hear about them via this listserve.

Hope this has helped and look forward to your reply.

Patrick