There were migrant birds in the Kennedy Forest this morning:

21  Yellow-rumped Warbler
20  Nashville Warbler
  8  Tennessee Warbler
  4  Blue-winged warbler
  2  Chestnut-sided Warbler
  2  Palm warbler
  2  Wood Thrush
  2  Indigo Bunting
  2  Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
  1  Ovenbird
  1  Northern Parula
  1  Black-throated Green Warbler
  1  Blackpoll Warbler

Conspicuous in their absence, any species of:

flycatcher
vireo
"big warblers" (grosbeak, tanager, oriole)
Swainson's Thrush

I will take this opportunity to fess up to my St Louis year-listing
friends that on Saturday I heard, but did not see, what could only
have been a Swainson's Warbler at the place we call "the wet
spot."  The reason you didn't hear about it Saturday was that (here
comes the hard part) at the time I heard it, I didn't know what I was
listening to.  This is the first spring I've been using my new
digital, frequency-shifting hearing aid.  It's a learning
experience.  Each day of the last 2 weeks I've heard species that
I've never heard sing or call before while wearing the device but
which I assume that I've heard many times before.  Several times each
morning I find myself thinking, "What the heck is that?" only to
discover that it's a cowbird or towhee.  When I heard the bird in
question, which called 6-7 times, my reaction was "That's a
goofy-sounding Hooded Warbler."  Swainson's Warbler never occurred to
me.  The bird was way back in the bush.  When it stopped singing I
passed it off with, "I'll figure it out the next time I hear it."  It
wasn't until the next day while I was listening to recordings of all
the warblers at home while wearing the hearing aid that the "holy
canolis!" reaction happened.  Sorry.

Randy Korotev
Saint Louis, MO