I've done a little research. There is another little less expensive route
than buying the Birdpod (at $308.00), but still have all of its features:

Purchase iPod Nano at $150
Purchase birdPod Maker (Eastern North America) Software at $69.00 (at
birdPod online Store)
Purchase Stokes Eastern Region CDs at $18 (at Amazon.com)
Download iTunes onto your computer (I think this is free--I have a Mac so it
comes pre-installed)
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS: Mac OS X 10.3 or later; Windows 2000 or later; iTunes
4.7.1 or later

This price comes to $238, which gets you the same hardware and software
(less Western Birds) for $70 less money. But it does require one to do a
little extra computer manipulation and buying.

Still, this is pretty expensive stuff. I'm fairly satisfied with owning the
Stokes CDs (each bird has its own track, and the booklet makes clear which
bird is on which track, along with a text description to aid one in
analyzing and identifying each song) and a portable CD player that I've
owned for a long time. The best teacher is the practice of going out in the
field many times.

Below is the information from the birdPod online Store:

The birdPod Maker Software, Eastern North America, is what you need to get
started using birdPod if you already have an iPod and the Stokes Eastern
Region CDs.
BirdPod Maker updates song names, splits tracks, removes narration and adds
useful additional data to iTunes and enables the use of birdPod playlists.
It includes a standard set of playlists by habitat, as well as playlists
that match the booklet that comes with the Stokes Field Guide to Bird Songs,
Eastern Region.
Note: Stokes Field Guide to Bird Songs, Eastern Region, is required for
birdPod Maker, Eastern Region.
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS: Mac OS X 10.3 or later; Windows 2000 or later; iTunes
4.7.1 or later;

Bob Bailey
St. Louis, MO