All the Song Sparrows migrated from here last week, and the garden seems empty without their rich music.  The dry rattles of the Chipping Sparrows and the soft plaintive tunes of the Field Sparrows are no substitutes.  I still wonder what drives them to leave when they seemed so happy and contented and when other Song Sparrows apparently spend the summer all around here.  I wonder how far they migrate:  to north Missouri, to Iowa, to Minnesota, to Canada?  Has anyone in north Missouri noticed a recent influx of Song Sparrows?

The White-throated Sparrows are still here as they have been since fall, but now with much singing.  A White-crowned-Sparrow, looking rather regal, showed up at the tray feeder yesterday.  They are here fall and spring, but not in winter.  The Swamp Sparrows have left the prairie, but I never heard them singing.

Jerry Brown
Lincoln County