I birded Swan Lake National Wildlife Refuge today from about 9 AM to 1 PM.
Highlights were a flyover WHITE-FACED IBIS (1 over Swan Lake), an American
Bittern, and a Grasshopper Sparrow. Other birds of interest were lots of
White Pelicans (200+) and good numbers of shorebirds- Both Yellowlegs,
snipe, Pectoral Sandpipers, and Baird's Sandpipers were present (listed from
most to least abundant). Brown Thrashers have really moved in too. I had
looks at a  Pileated Woodpecker as well. The Yellow-crowned Night Heron at
the east entrance that Steve Kinder reported was not there, but there was a
tractor doing work in a field very close by, may have been elsewhere as a
result.

I stopped by Fountain Grove first and there wasn't much I found there
besides a lot of Swamp Sparrows.

I also stopped by Sugar Creek CA in Adair county to listen for Ruffed Grouse
before sunrise this morning. No luck, but I didn't do a real thorough check.
They have been heard there in the past and seen more recently at Big Creek
CA, which is pretty close to Sugar Creek.

Phil Wire
Kirksville, Adair Co.