I think the peak for the Greater Praire Chicken Lek was defintely last week. Counted 23 males and only 3 hens this morning. There was still alot of activity and the males were very loud and vocal today.  Two flew off before we left and we then saw them displaying on their own halfway down to the parking area.?

   As usual a Horned Lark was singing his heart out right next to the blind before and after the Chichens showed up.

  There were several each Henslow's and Grasshopper Sparrows singing as we walked back to the parking lot. Actually I heard a few Grasshoppers on the way up to the blind under the bright Full Moon. No need for a flashlight at 5:15 this morning!

  Still a small flock of Smith's Longspurs, about 15 birds, in same area seen before. Nice look at a Male in near full breeding plumage!

  Several Upland Sandpipers around, always neat to hear their whistel - call over the open Praire.

   Steve Kinder
  Chillicothe
  Livingston Co, Mo