Hi Edge and MoBirders:
A survey of bird fatalities related to tall building collisions (NOT
towers - I assume the below is in regard to communication towers) was
done in the St. Louis area on a totally volunteer basis by members of the
SL Audubon Society and Webster Groves Nature Study Society in May 2000,
initiated by Lynne Breakstone and Ken Cohen.  We were interested in
looking at communication towers but ran into difficulties in getting
permission from the various owners to get close enough access to the
towers.  Sometimes it was even difficult to determine ownership of the
towers.  We therefore only focused on downtown St. Louis tall buildings.
Bases of downtown buildings were searched for bird fatalities in the very
early a.m. for the first two weeks in May.  The US Fish & Wildlife
Service office in Columbia was interested in the data, and I therefore
headed up teams (again, totally volunteer) to do the same searches for
two weeks in May in 2002 and 2003.  May 2000 searches resulted in 16
fatalities over the two week period. May 2002 resulted in 40 fatalities,
with 57 fatalities in 2003 over the two week period.  Interestingly, it
appeared that the majority of fatalities were related to reflective glass
and not due to lights being on in the buildings, as has been the case
with buildings in Toronto, Chicago, and New York who have since developed
"Lights Out" programs.  These cities were experiencing hundreds of
fatalities on a given night due to lake/coastal effects combined with the
lights that detrimentally attracted birds to the buildings.
Regarding communication towers, there are large working groups with
numerous partners (USFWS, American Bird Conservancy etc) that are working
with the FCC and FAA regarding guidelines to decrease bird fatalities.
Info is probably available on their websites.  Can't tell what agency is
heading up the below Arkansas project (obviously they have some funding
to do this...), but sounds like it will contribute further data to the
work underway by the working group.
Sue Gustafson
St. Louis Audubon Society/Audubon Society of MO