Al Foster Trail near Castlewood, StL County, 4/18/06 2-6pm

I walked in from Ridge Meadow school on Ridge Rd.  I call this access
Zombie Rd, because that's what the kids used to call it.  50 yards down the
road I saw some B/G gnatcatchers and notice that one was sitting on a
nest.  The trees are really leafing out fast and the phlox, larkspur,
bluebells, Miamimist, blueyed Marys, buttercups are blooming prolifically.
There are few redbuds and dogwoods in this section of the woods.  There
were a pair(?) of Coopers hawks hanging around the upper section of the
trail, perhaps nesting.  I heard numerous parulas but never could find
them.  I did see a worm eating warbler in plain view and calling.  I am
still intimidated by the warblers, but everything matched.  I am also
wrestling with the water thrushes.  I saw at least three that to me sounded
and looked more like northern water thrushes.  The eye stripe ID is not
clear to me, but I thought the throat was spotted and the call had more
notes on the trailing end.  I wish someone else would report northerns?

Coopers hawk  2
Sharpshinned hawk  2
Red tailed hawk 1
Turkey vulture  5
Nothern parula (heard) 5+
Worm eating warbler 1
Northern warbler 3
Yellow rumped warbler 1
Winter wren  1
Eastern phoebe  3
Bluegray gnatcatcher  2
Redbellied WP  1
Downy WP   1
Titmouse, Chickadee, Cardinals, Bluejays, Robin......

Dan Curran, St. Louis County, [log in to unmask]