We often take birds' presence as a "given."  And that "given" is
meant in two ways:  1.  Given as in presented--and for free, to boot;
and 1. Given as in that's just the way it is--and will always be so.
Neither meaning is appropriate for the presence/survival of any bird
species.

Especially with Greater Prairie-Chickens we should be grateful for
every opportunity to observe them,  and, perhaps more importantly, be
willing to forego that pleasure if it means increasing the chances of
survival.

I doubt that any birder or group of birders would knowingly,
willingly disturb them.  Sometimes the adrenalin is running so high
at the prospect/gratification of a sighting that we are momentarily
forgetful of how disruptive our behavior can be.

Maybe those of us who have seen prairie chickens should consider not
looking for them during the breeding season; maybe we don't need to
see them every March/April just to add to the annual list or to get
that high feeling hearing and seeing them gives.

If the choice is between my grandchildren and great-grandchildren
having an opportunity to see and hear prairie chickens in Missouri 20
or 30 years from now and me seeing them one more time, that choice is
an easy one.

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO