One of the pitfalls of a listserve is that members often do not know
one another.

Mariel Stephenson came to Columbia, Missouri from England.  Her
comments and concern for the species have a basis in her experiences
there.

Given that knowledge, readers may reread her comments and judge them
accordingly.

Yes, Eurasian Tree Sparrows are an introduced species.  No, they are
not protected by law.  No, we do not "owe" them any special protection.

Yes, they may compete with native species, but probably more with
Passer domesticus, another introduced species, and maybe with the
House Finch, a bird whose range was extended to the eastern North
American continent by escapes/releases from cages.

But most importantly, Mariel's concern is based on her compassion
for  living creatures.  No more, no less was intended nor implied in
her statements.

If we want to get all het up about introduced species, let's go bash
starlings and those Eurasian Collared-Doves so many are so pleased to
report these days.  They are far more ubiquitous and potentially
detrimental to native species.

And while we're out there, those pesky Cattle Egrets are in a sort of
purgatory, I guess--they ain't native, but they got here on their
own.  Maybe we should only smash every other egg.

Insert insipid smiley face.

Good bash---uh--birding
Edge Wade
Columbia, MO