We started at Hampton Lake at Busch Wildlife in Saint Charles County.  There were a few birds including Eastern Phoebe, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Coot, Blue-winged Teal, Canada Goose, Shoveler, and Belted Kingfisher present.
We then went to the Lost Valley Trail to look for new arrivals.  We easily found a cooperative Parula warbler, the first of several, near the side trail to the small grassy field on the right of the trail.  In the field we flushed a very surprising Henslow's Sparrow.  It sat in a small tree on the edge of the field allowing excellent looks.  Our first Hermit Thrush of the day was also in this area.  Continuing down the trail a few people saw Black and White Warbler and Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher but neither cooperated for the majority of the group.  There were several singing Louisiana Waterthrushes, but they were also difficult to see.  The Yellow-breasted Warblers, although undoubtedly present were not singing.  A Red-shouldered Hawk still in immature plumage was sitting right be the trail.  Otherwise the area was rather quiet.
A short stop at the Katy trail produced only common birds such as Song and Savannah Sparrows.  From there we went to the Busch headquarters.  Virtually the first bird we saw was a Pine Warbler that was hunting prey in the grass near the picnic area.  It was a brightly colored male and even sang from the ground one time.  Eventually it caught some kind of a caterpillar flew to a low branch to eat it and went back into the trees.  While eating lunch we also saw a female Pine Warbler also hunting in the grass.  I can only assume that the combination of rain last night, cold, and wind was making finding food difficult in the tree tops.
There were also Juncos and Chipping Sparrows at the picnic area make trilling song identification a real challenge.  At the feeders there were several birds including one female Purple Finch and of all things the male Pine Warbler.  Perhaps we was finding insects among the seeds.
A visit to Dardene Creek near Lake 33 finally produced a very cooperative Yellow-throated Warbler as well as Brown Creeper, Golden-crowned Kinglet and more Hermit Thrushes.  The short bird area was almost devoid of birds, but the field next to it provided, Field and Swamp Sparrow and some fly by Barn Swallows to go with the numerous Tree Swallows.  A quick visit to the Pinetum woods added a Red-breasted Nuthatch to the day list.  Overall an excellent day.

David Becher
Saint Louis