There was an interesting mix of birds in the Dunn Ranch area, NW Harrison Co., the last few days. The Greater Praire Chicken activity seen from the blind has been at or near it's peak. Saturday early a.m. with the St. Louis Audubon Group we counted 42 birds, at least 15 of which were hens at one time. There may have been a few more just over the ridge that were out of sight at least part of the time. There weren't quite as many today but still 9 hens at once. Was surprised how aggressive the hens were at times to each other. Listened to Coyotes calling from two different directions as we walked up to the blind this morning. Saw three seperate ones out hunting in the daylight over the wknd. Several Deer could be seen grazing on a hillside from the blind today.

   Heard one Am. Woodcock while driving around Sunday eve.

  Upland Sandpipers had returned today, saw/heard several of them. Brown-headed Cowbirds are back in force also. Found a couple or three small flocks of Smith's Longspurs while wandering on my own today. Total of less than 50 birds.They were in a small burned area near the soybean field I had seen some on the First. Had couple quick looks at a probable LeConte's Sparrow flying away and dropping down. Couldn't get it to sit up with the wind. Did not find any Henslow's yet. Lots of Savannah and Song and a few Vesper around. Nice to listen to a Vesper singing.

  A Coopers Hawk was unexpected flying up from where it was roosting in fairly tall grass. It flew away low over the ground, dropped down once and landed on open area of short grass. It then flew low over the ridge and out of view. Tried to make it a Praire Falcon the way it acted but it was not.

  Some other birds seen were Turkey, Quail, Pheasant, Shrike, Mockingbird, and one Short-eared Owl. Cormorants and Pelicans were seen flying over.

  Later, Steve Kinder, Chillicothe, Livingston Co.  [log in to unmask]