Josh,
  Glad you were able to see the teal.  I talked with my friend Dottie Herweg yesterday noon.  She and her husband were just back from seeing them.  They had run into Keith McMullen over there and were on Bend Rd when he came after them to tell them he had found the bird right after they left, so they returned.  I mentioned Shawn's photo that he had posted, and she said they had seen the male with both a female Blue-wing and a female Cinnamon.

  Jane is philosophical about missing the Cinnamons.  Thanks to Shawn and Mary Ann Auer (and of course many thanks to the Johnsons for finding them), Rose Ann and I had a great binocular look on Saturday evening.  Maybe the teal will stick around and set up housekeeping.  Let's hope we get enough rain that all the marshes and ponds don't dry up as they did last year.

  Jackie Chain
  St Louis County

Joshua Uffman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Hello Mobirders,

I was able to get over and look for the male Cinnamon Teal this evening at Eagle Park Marsh in Illinois. I observed the bird from about 6:30 to 7:00PM (Sorry Jackie--As expected, it showed up just after you left). I am hoping someone who has a lot more experience with Cinnamon's Teals than I, can add some input. Reason I say that is because I am really leaning toward the bird being a female Cinnamon Teal ......or possibly "part" Cinnamon Teal. Here is why:

--First of all, the female bird the male was hanging out with did not move away from it the entire time I was observing them. All other teal the birds were associating with moved in and out from them and further away at times, but these two birds always stuck together.
--The bill compared to nearby Blue-winged Teal is longer.
--Although the bird does have a very thin eyeline, the eyeline does not extend through the eye as boldly as it did in nearby female Blue-winged Teal. It certainly did not appear to have white arcs above and below the eye. However, a picture I got does show the line very thinly goes through the eye.
--The white at the base of the bill, does not touch the white in the throat of this bird.

Here is a picture of the female bird, not great....but a picture:

http://www.surfbirds.com/albums/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=10005&pos=0

My question: In addition to any input anyone may have...Do female Cinnamon Teal show any eyeline at all??

Joshua Uffman
St. Louis County, MO

Photo Gallery: http://www.surfbirds.com/albums/index.php?cat=10005

* *
* To access the Audubon Society of Missouri Web *
* Site: http://mobirds.org *