Hello Mobirders,

  I was able to get over and look for the male Cinnamon Teal this evening at Eagle Park Marsh in Illinois.  I observed the bird from about 6:30 to 7:00PM (Sorry Jackie--As expected, it showed up just after you left).  I am hoping someone who has a lot more experience with Cinnamon's Teals than I, can add some input.  Reason I say that is because I am really leaning toward the bird being a female Cinnamon Teal ......or possibly "part" Cinnamon Teal.  Here is why:

  --First of all, the female bird the male was hanging out with did not move away from it the entire time I was observing them.  All other teal the birds were associating with moved in and out from them and further away at times, but these two birds always stuck together.
  --The bill compared to nearby Blue-winged Teal is longer.
  --Although the bird does have a very thin eyeline, the eyeline does not extend through the eye as boldly as it did in nearby female Blue-winged Teal.  It certainly did not appear to have white arcs above and below the eye.  However, a picture I got does show the line very thinly goes through the eye.
  --The white at the base of the bill, does not touch the white in the throat of this bird.

  Here is a picture of the female bird, not great....but a picture:

  http://www.surfbirds.com/albums/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=10005&pos=0

  My question:   In addition to any input anyone may have...Do female Cinnamon Teal show any eyeline at all??

Joshua Uffman
St. Louis County, MO

Photo Gallery:  http://www.surfbirds.com/albums/index.php?cat=10005