We recognise 'art' in many forms - much of it created by other species.  They do not recognise it as we do.

Mike
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Kate Troy
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, April 14, 2006 5:28 AM
Subject: Re: (OT) Towards a speech of the machine ...

They're the only species who creates art.

In a message dated 4/13/2006 10:08:00 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes:
On Wednesday, April 12, 2006 3:36 PM -0700 Dunja Seselja
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Um, how do you mean the other kinds...?

  Dunja,

  Well, if you can have a question which may only provoke thought, there
must be other kinds of questions, right? What do they do?

  My Eliot professor liked to remark that man is the only being who is a
question unto himself (maybe he said "human beings," but he definitely
cringed at "humans"). The point being that for us human beings, our
existence puts our being in question. "Why? Wherefore? What is our ultimate
context?"

So questions are very interesting. At a minimum, I'm thinking, a question
provokes thought. What else do they do?

Cheers,
Ken A.