And then there is the theme music of E.T.

P.
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">cr mittal
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2006 10:07 AM
Subject: Re: (OT) Towards a speech of the machine ...

Dear Vishvesh,

Here's a learned opinion that exactly matches yours:

We have heard much about the poetry of mathematics,
but very little of it has as yet been sung. The ancients
had a juster notion of their poetic value than we. The most
distinct and beautiful statements of any truth must take
at last the mathematical form. We might so simplify the
rules of moral philosophy, as well as of arithmetic, that one
formula would express them both.

                                                          -- H.D. Thoreau
In this conttext I found it exceedingly interesting to come upon this:

Stange, Kate. "Mathematical Poetry: A Small Anthology." URL: http://katherinestange.com/mathweb/index.html
(A collection of poems dealing directly or indirectly with mathematics)

Cheers!

~ CR

Vishvesh Obla <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
'Computer programming bears much more relation to
language than it does to maths'

'if year++ then age ++, the expression is _not_
mathematical; it is language.'

'Whether it
is good poetry or bad poetry is a separate question,
but if you are
going to call it either math or poetry, the correct
label is poetry'

These three passages one from Tabitha, and two from
Carroll, struck me. I too think it is ‘language’ than
‘mathematics’, but language permeated by the
mathematical process. Just as one could call a
theorem as sheer poetry by the beauty of its
elucidatory nature of a complex mechanism (Ramanujan
often said that he found God whenever he wrote a new
theorem!), I think one could call the code that I
quoted as poetry for its astonishing clarity of the
*idea* (the 'year' and 'age' have a natural relation,
which is not mathematical alone). My concern about
this is centered on a communication that could be
radically different from the way mankind has used
language hitherto. There is a distinct difference in
the usage. For, the element of ‘suggestion’ that is
vital for language to be *creative* though it creates
bizarre associations is one factor, and an important
one at that, is compromised.

--- Tabitha Arnesen <[log in to unmask]>