And then there is the theme music of E.T.

P.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: cr mittal
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2006 10:07 AM
  Subject: Re: (OT) Towards a speech of the machine ...

  Dear Vishvesh,

  Here's a learned opinion that exactly matches yours:

  We have heard much about the poetry of mathematics,
  but very little of it has as yet been sung. The ancients
  had a juster notion of their poetic value than we. The most
  distinct and beautiful statements of any truth must take
  at last the mathematical form. We might so simplify the
  rules of moral philosophy, as well as of arithmetic, that one
  formula would express them both.

                                                            -- H.D. Thoreau

  In this conttext I found it exceedingly interesting to come upon this:

  Stange, Kate. "Mathematical Poetry: A Small Anthology." URL: http://katherinestange.com/mathweb/index.html
  (A collection of poems dealing directly or indirectly with mathematics)

  Cheers!

  ~ CR

  Vishvesh Obla <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
    'Computer programming bears much more relation to
    language than it does to maths'

    'if year++ then age ++, the expression is _not_
    mathematical; it is language.'

    'Whether it
    is good poetry or bad poetry is a separate question,
    but if you are
    going to call it either math or poetry, the correct
    label is poetry'

    These three passages one from Tabitha, and two from
    Carroll, struck me. I too think it is 'language' than
    'mathematics', but language permeated by the
    mathematical process. Just as one could call a
    theorem as sheer poetry by the beauty of its
    elucidatory nature of a complex mechanism (Ramanujan
    often said that he found God whenever he wrote a new
    theorem!), I think one could call the code that I
    quoted as poetry for its astonishing clarity of the
    *idea* (the 'year' and 'age' have a natural relation,
    which is not mathematical alone). My concern about
    this is centered on a communication that could be
    radically different from the way mankind has used
    language hitherto. There is a distinct difference in
    the usage. For, the element of 'suggestion' that is
    vital for language to be *creative* though it creates
    bizarre associations is one factor, and an important
    one at that, is compromised.

    --- Tabitha Arnesen

    http://mail.yahoo.com