From: "Marcia Karp" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: 12 books
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 19:32:55 -0500

Dear Mike,
    Something is wrong in Bragg's list.  William Tyndale died long before the King James translation was made.  While the translators used his translation, they used others and the original languages.  His name is wrongly given as author of the KJV.  I hope the mistake (and the misspelling of WT's name) is in the blurb, not in the book; I'm lead to think that's the case since I find this from the Sunday Times, March 19, from Bragg, which doesn't make the mistakes your source does:
Certain books suggested themselves, most especially Newton’s Principia Mathematica (1687), Darwin’s On the Origin of Species (1859), Adam Smith’s The Wealth of Nations (1776), Michael Faraday’s Experimental Researches in Electricity (1855) and William Tyndale’s massive contribution to the King James Bible (1611).

Best,
Marcia

Mike Callaghan wrote:
[log in to unmask] type="cite">

Melvyn Bragg has a new book coming out in April. It is called ‘Twelve Books that Changed the World’. Here is the list:

‘Principia Mathematica’ by Isaac Newton
‘Married Love’ by Marie Stopes
‘Magna Carta’
‘Book of Rules of Association Football’
‘On the Origin of Species’ by Charles Darwin
‘On the Abolition of the Slave Trade’ by William Wilberforce
‘A Vindication of the Rights of Woman’ by Mary Wollstonecraft
‘Experimental Researches in Electricity’ by Michael Faraday.
‘Patent Specification for Arkwright’s Spinning Machine’ by Richard Arkwrigh
‘The King James Bible’ by William Tynedale
‘An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations’ by Adam Smith
‘The First Folio’ by William Shakespeare