  From: Dunja Seselja
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Sunday, April 09, 2006 7:12 PM
  Subject: Till Human Voices Wake Us

  When talking about films... what do people here think of "Till Human Voices Wake Us", made after Eliot's "Love Song of A.J. Prufrock"?
  For me the film is amazing once we take the poem into account (without it, it can be seen as more or less usual love story, seen during or after dinner). All of the reviews I've read on the Internet are so disappointing - they either completely fly over the fact that the film has a direct link to the poem, or they see it as an unsuccessful "description" of the poem. But the film is neither of these. As a matter of fact, it succeeds in capturing some of the crucial moments of the poem (time and finiteness - in their metaphysical sense) tracing them down to the ground, and still leaving them out of reach. The story itself might be simple, but once we consider all those motives of The Love Song and see their place in the story, it receives a completely new dimension.

  Dunja

  Nancy Gish <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
    Both are great films. But if you want romantic, see Brokeback Mountain.
    (Mountains are in it, but they are not the main topic.) Neither is
    comedy. Neither is violent. Both are thoughtful.

    >>> [log in to unmask] 04/09/06 9:28 PM >>>

    I called my husband on the cell phone yesterday while out during the day
    and
    asked what he wanted to do during the evening, as we had no plans. He
    said
    that he already took care of that, that he had went to the video store
    and
    took out the new Pride and Prejudice that had just come out on video
    that I had
    been longing to see. Well, it was very sweet of my husband, but it was
    an
    extremely poor, pathetic adaptation, and I can't believe that it had
    been
    nominated for Academy Awards. The one before this one, I really loved,
    the one
    before that was great also, and the book best of all, but this film was
    simply
    awful. And, this is truth, and not politics. My husband asked me today
    what
    I wanted to see the next time he was at the video store, and I couldn't
    make
    up my mind between Good Night and Good Luck and that mountain film,
    Broback
    Mountain, I think it's called. Anyone have any great suggestion,
    keeping in
    mind that I like thoughtful(but not violent) and that I like
    romantic(when
    well done), and comedy only when extremely well done.

    Regards,

    Kate

    In a message dated 4/9/2006 5:55:13 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,