Well I agree others should be able to express their views, but I would have thought that this particular school of thought finished at O Level.  I am surprised that this would be published,  has the author not read any criticisms of The Waste Land?  Even if he did not agree he would have found those who did succeed in getting sense and beauty out of the final pages.

Mike

----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">cr mittal
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, April 24, 2006 4:58 AM
Subject: Re: TSE: The Journey from Chaos to Christianity

Well, Ken, the part of the review you have reproduced belongs to a school of thought that you and I DO NOT approve of. But that doesn't debar others from expressing their views. After all, a critic of literature is governed by his own understanding which may not always match ours. To me too, what he writes in the second half is plain nonsense. The opening line of TWL about Aprill being the cruellest month
is pregnant with profound implications -- and these have by now been explicated time without end. But if someone were to look askance at it as if it were a puzzle in a game only, it only shows plain ignorance of the rich and poignant beauty of the line
which has already been elucidated by critics.

As I had made clear, my intention in drawing attention to this review was limited to its focuss on the repugnant aspect of "desire" in Eliot's poetry.

Regards.

~ CR

Ken Armstrong <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Thanks,CR, there must be a lesson here. This is one of the flat-out
stupidest reviews I've ever read."Heaven knows; anything goes."

Pax,

Ken A.

> In this context, it should be interesting to read the following
> book-review in The Atlantic Monthly of July 5th, 2005. Let me take the
> liberty, with due apologies, to reproduce it here.
>
> Regards.
>
> ~ CR

> [Image: "The Atlantic Monthly"]
> Tuesday, July 5th, 2005
>
> The Annotated Waste Land with Eliot's Contemporary Prose
> by T S Eliot
> Defensive modesty of this variety can often be worth noting; what
> critic has ever succeeded in getting any sense or any beauty out of the
> final pages? And in what conceivable universe -- even the batty, sinister
> one of Ezra Pound, who insisted that the poem open in that manner -- is
> April the cruelest month?
> It is not disputable that by publishing The Waste Land when he did, Eliot
> caught something of the zeitgeist and enthralled those who needed
> borrowed words and concepts to capture or re-express the desolation of
> Europe after 1918. But this latest attempt at context and explication has
> the effect, prefigured in earlier scrutinies, of helping to further
> demystify what is certainly the most overrated poem in the Anglo-American
> canon.

Celebrate Earth Day everyday! Discover 10 things you can do to help slow climate change. Yahoo! Earth Day