    From:     Dunja     Seselja
    To: [log in to unmask]
    Sent: Sunday, April 09, 2006 7:12   PM
    Subject: Till Human Voices Wake Us

When  talking about films... what do people here think of "Till Human Voices  Wake Us", made after Eliot's "Love Song of A.J. Prufrock"?
For     me the film is amazing once we  take the poem into account (without it, it can be seen as more or less  usual love story, seen during or after dinner). All of the reviews I've  read on the Internet are so disappointing - they either completely fly  over the fact that the film has a direct link to the poem, or they see  it as an unsuccessful "description" of the poem. But the film is  neither of these. As a matter of fact, it succeeds in capturing some of  the crucial moments of the poem (time and finiteness - in their  metaphysical sense) tracing them down to the ground, and still leaving  them out of reach. The story itself might be simple, but once we  consider all those motives of The Love Song and see their place in the  story, it receives a completely new dimension.

Dunja

Nancy Gish <[log in to unmask]>     wrote:     Both       are great films. But if you want romantic, see Brokeback       Mountain.
(Mountains are in it, but they are not the main topic.) Neither       is
comedy. Neither is violent. Both are thoughtful.

>>>       [log in to unmask] 04/09/06 9:28 PM >>>

I called my husband on       the cell phone yesterday while out during the day
and
asked what he       wanted to do during the evening, as we had no plans. He
said
that he       already took care of that, that he had went to the video store
and
took out the new Pride and Prejudice that had just come out on       video
that I had
been longing to see. Well, it was very sweet of my       husband, but it was
an
extremely poor, pathetic adaptation, and I       can't believe that it had
been
nominated for Academy Awards. The one       before this one, I really loved,
the one
before that was great also,       and the book best of all, but this film was
simply
awful. And, this       is truth, and not politics. My husband asked me today
what
I wanted       to see the next time he was at the video store, and I couldn't
make
up my mind between Good Night and Good Luck and that mountain       film,
Broback
Mountain, I think it's called. Anyone have any great       suggestion,
keeping in
mind that I like thoughtful(but not violent)       and that I like
romantic(when
well done), and comedy only when       extremely well done.

Regards,

Kate

In a message dated       4/9/2006 5:55:13 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,