Hi there,

I'm new here but I'm jumping in the present topic... Since English isn't my first language, I'm sorry (in advance) if I make any mistakes etc.
As for the term "man" - I'd like to know what "militant feminism" means at all? It sounds to me like an absurd term "militant anti-smoker". If there's no physical violence, it's quite misleading to use the word "militant" simply because someone is criticizing intolerance. The question here is not what we mean when we say "man", the proper question is: which semantic tradition this term originates from and which semantic surrounding does it bring when being used nowadays? And now the story goes on with all those arguments which clearly point out that since there's a man and there's a woman, a man cannot be a generic term, unless we accept its sexist nature. So why not using the term "human (being)"?
To say that "this whole political correctness bullshit" is hypocritical without saying when and in which circumstances is to make a hasty generalization. The fact that there are some hypocrites out there, does not imply we shouldn't care about being politically correct.
Why care about language? Because language is a "life form", it's effecting us on so many levels - we learn not only to speak but to act and live according to it. And if we cannot try at least not to bring sexisms within the way we speak, how can we expect them to be removed from our acts?

Cheers!

Dunja

Gunnar Jauch <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Dear Carrol,

for once I feel obliged to take Ken's side. Militant feminism, as your
opinion is based on, is, as any militant movement, simply a boring
aberration and leads to cumbersome terms. What was wrong, e.g., with "The
Family of Man", the title of Edward Steichen famous photo exhibit?

Same thing with race: What's wrong with negro? Is Afro-American any better?

How I detest this whole hypocritical political correctness bullshit, an
American wave spreading all over the world, from a country presently
behaving politically far from correct. It will not make things any better,
it just obfuscates.

And, yes, you may call me vulgar and illiterate.

Gunnar

How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messengerís low PC-to-Phone call rates.