--- Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> How can you know whether the
> interpretation of the poem is important or senseless
> until you have worked out a number of the more
likely
> interpretations and examined what they do or don't
do >for the poem?

I agree with that. As a matter of fat, I don't think
we can speak of reading a poem without at the same
time interpreting it. Every time we read it, we
interpret it over and over again. Once again, seeing
is "seeing as", and just like there are no pure sense
data, there is no pure reading of a poem. But it
remains a question whether experience (Peter speaks
about) is also a sort of interpreting.

Dunja