Thanks, Dunja, for raising what I believe to be the core and crucial questions vis-a-vis this poem. Here're my perceptions:

why is the poem called "the love song of j. a. prufrock"?
It's a love song of  _J. Alfred Prufrock_, implying thereby that it is "his" love song,
and it's not like a conventional romantic love song we're used to hearing.

what sort of love is that?
It's not human love (love of a man or woman) in the conventional sense that he has in mind. His love is "love of God" -- love of the Absolute Good -- of being in harmony
with that principle of goodness and divinity that is deep within us.

and does it at all matter...?
To Prufrock, this is the only form of love that matters.
The rest, if not inspired (or informed) by this, is meaningless.

Of course, what I say will make better/fuller sense if the poem is read/explicated
in this light.

Regards.

~ CR

Dunja Seselja <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
//What do you think, why is the poem called "the love
song of j. a. prufrock"? what sort of love is that?
and does it at all matter...? //

Dunja