Gunnar Jauch wrote:

> What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as
> sweet.

Not always! I suspect that most (or all) _general_ answers one could
make to the question ("What's in a name?") would be either plain wrong
or mere truisms. Substantive (debatable) answers would be possible only
in particular contexts or for particular instances. In the context in
which Juliet asked it, mass slaughter was the answer.

And of course my general answer to the question in the context in which
it go raised here (he/she) was _also_ that mass slaughter was involved
-- or that the generic use of "he" was tied up in an immense web of
activities, relationships, beliefs of which mass slaughter was an
inseparable part, and that one could not simply reject the horrors and
keep the polite representations of those horrors.

Carrol