----- Original Message -----
From: robert meyer
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sunday, April 02, 2006 2:31 AM
Subject: Wyclif / Tyndale / et al (was: 12 books)

The Geneva Bible (1560) was the first to be divided into chapters and
verses.  It was made by Protestant refugees from Queen Mary, especially
William Whittingham who had connections to John Knox and John Calvin.  The
Geneva Bible was the one that the pilgrims took to Plymouth, Mass. in the
new world when they were persecuted by King James I of England.
Also known as the breeches bible because it says that Adam and Eve made
breeches to cover themselves.
I found this out when I inherited a copy, with my paternal grandmother's
family tree going back to the 1600s.
I believe the date on the title page is 1584. Needless to say I have it
housed in a properly endowed library
facility. It's in amazingly good shape, and gets a lot of access by
scholars.

Cheers,
Peter